I don’t make resolutions for the new year, not for me anyway. But if you need some, I have made them for you. Here now is a list of Writing and Speaking Resolutions.
- speak using full words and not abbreviations, especially when the words themselves are the same number of syllables. Examples: IDK = I don’t know. OMG = Oh my gosh.
- learn the difference between homophones. Examples: their, there, and they’re not the same.
- stop using spell check and take the time to proofread (or at least turn on the feature in Word that underlines misspelled text as you type).
- understand the difference between then and than.
- learn how to use an apostrophe because it’s does not refer to possession.
- pronounce caramel, pecan, and New Orleans properly.
You’re welcome…. Have you anything to add? We need to help the rest of the world one resolution at a time.