We decided to watch Oprah’s Big Give tonight. Apparently TV Guide said this about the show, “If you don’t cry, you’re dead inside.” It’s only a few minutes into the show and I’m a little teary-eyed. This is why I stopped watching Extreme Makeover.
Regardless, I’m continuing to watch. In tonight’s show, the contestants are tasked with giving away $100,000 in 24 hours. The maximum they can spend on an individual is $500. They can give away $10,000 to one organization or business. They can’t give away cash.
One of the contestants did what I thought of, which was to go to a grocery store and pay for groceries for all the people in the store. In thinking about this, I wonder what I would do in this situation. Here’s what I’d try to do:
- hit up the United Way and see who they could get me in touch with by way of organizations.
- go to a local food pantry and do the same kind of thing as the grocery store contestant.
- go to an animal shelter and provide a shopping spree for the pets’ supplies.
- meet up with Community Housing Partners or Habitat for Humanity and provide supplies for home-building or perhaps new appliances.
- find an electronics store and buy enough equipment to put together video camera packs for a local university. 🙂 If an Apple store were nearby, I’d find a way to spend some money there, too.
- visit a fire station, police department, and rescue squad to see if there was anything they needed.
What would you do?